Today I have accepted a new and challenging position after a series of gruelling, demanding interviews and in depth technical tests. My new role is working for Dreamhost as a BMC Patrol Monitor Agent.
My key responsibilities are as follows:
- Write a blog article offline using Performancing.
- Post draft.
- Preview article in WYSIWG format on the blog.
- Blog is slow and unresponsive.
- ssh to Dreamhost server which is slow and unresponsive.
- Run ‘w’ to determine load average which is slow and unresponsive.
- Raise ticket with Dreamhost technical support.
- Wait for a period of time.
The performance problem is ‘resolved’. Perm any one from:
- ‘Denial of Service attack’ - now resolved by firewall configuration
- ‘Users in breach of Terms of Service - accounts now cancelled
- ‘Users producing abnormal heavy load’ - now migrated to another server
- Machine was recently rebooted that should solve problem
Repeat whole pointless exercise the next time. Repeat ad infinitum.
So anyone with any recommendations for a reliable hosting provider capable of hosting a low bandwidth personal WordPress blog, please make themselves known.
I’m really starting to regret leaving the warm, cozy, uncomplicated world of hosted WordPress.com.