After two months and two days, the music has stopped, the theme rotation carousel has travelled full circle and finally come to a halt.
WordPress.com offers a total of 40 themes (37 when I started) and I have experimented and laboriously captured screenshots of every single one.
I have tried out all the WP themes as they became available but it was interesting to live with each theme for a day or so.
My personal favourites were:
- I don’t normally like three column themes but this was an notable exception. Light
- simple, effective theme. If only it was a little wider.
Regulus - still probably my favourite (just) which rather negates the point of the whole pointless exercise. The header image clinches it. You never forget your first love.
- great looking theme with focus on the text but I feel Lorelle has made this theme her own.
- clean, minimalist look but narrow text.
And my hall of shame:
- not for everyone but undeniably very distinctive. Flower Power
- not sure why this theme only uses half the screen.
- too much colour, not enough screen.
I guess my perfect theme would be a two column, minimalist theme with an emphasis on the article text. In fact, Scott’s Wallick’s plaintxt theme is pretty close to perfection.
I guess I always could shell out 15 USD and build it myself on WordPress using the recently launched custom CSS.
Alternatively, I could just pay up and get my own hosted WordPress blog with complete control over everything.
So, review the Flickr set and cast your vote now.
RSS readers - don’t sneer from the sidelines but tell us all what RSS reader you use and why.