Buoyed by my recent, successful firmware upgrade of my Linksys wireless router, and for the sake of completeness, I decided to upgrade the driver software of the Linksys Wireless USB adapters to the latest version (2.0.2).
In addition, prompted by my wife’s perceptive question of ‘Is it not working because someone has hacked into it ?’, I also decided to increase the security on my embryonic wirleless network by disabling SSID broadcasts and enabling MAC address filtering so only specified PC’s can connect.
Apologies to all my neighbours. This is probably undue paranoia on my part but if only you could have provided demerara sugar instead of fobbing me off with caster sugar all those years ago, none of this would have been necessary.
These simple configuration changes and software upgrades went surprisingly smoothly. Until, of course, I came to complete the very final task of upgrading the driver of USB adapter #2. This USB adapter is identical to the (upgraded) USB adapter #1, was purchased around the same time and was working perfectly on the old 1.x driver.
Inevitably, when I upgraded this driver, it stubbornly refused to connect to the wireless network. I uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted, reinstated the original driver to confirm the adapter was still working in the new wireless configuration but, still no joy. So this irritating minor issue will now continue to nag away like a dripping tap until I can be bothered to revisit it.